When you’re traveling in the healthcare industry, a great recruiter can make or break your experience on assignment. The recruiters you work with are supposed to be on your side and help you fight for what you need as you travel from place to place. But how can you tell if you have a recruiter that is willing to go above and beyond for you? Here are a few signs:
- They are open & honest: If your recruiter is 100% open and honest with you during the job search process, it’s a tell-tale sign of a great recruiter. It opens the door for a mutually beneficial relationship, where you feel just as comfortable sharing information with them as they do with you. That open relationship will help you both find you a dream assignment that meets your needs.
- They listen: Traveling is not easy. A great recruiter will listen more than talk. They need to hear what you need and what your expectations are in order to find you a place that really matches. They want you to just successful on your assignment just as much as you do. When they take the time to listen to you and get to know you better, you have found a recruiter that can really narrow in on those jobs you’ll get really excited about.
- They are highly-organized: Recruiters handle a lot of paperwork for a lot of people. A well-organized recruiter has their own personal system that helps eliminate confusion for them AND for you. They keep track of your references, license information, background checks, drug tests, and more. Great recruiters will gather all that information from you in a simple way and keep it organized through the entire job process.
- They follow up: There is nothing worse than waiting to hear about a new open assignment or pending interviews. A great recruiter will follow up with you – even if there is nothing to report. They will check in on you through the entire process and during assignments to let you know how everything is going on their end and ask how you are doing.
- They are worth recommending: When you’ve worked with a great recruiter, you’ll want to share them with your fellow travelers. Not only can you get a referral bonus, but it shows the recruiter how much you appreciate their hard work. When your friends are looking for someone to help them find a dream assignment like they did for you, pass along your recruiter’s information. A great recruiter will be worth it!
Bonus Tip: Not everyone finds a great recruiter on the first try, but don’t be afraid to speak up if you don’t feel like you are getting what you need from the recruiter you’re working with. Every agency will be willing to help you find someone that can fit your expectations. Give your agency a call if something is off and ask to speak to a recruiting supervisor.
Developing a great relationship with your recruiter is essential for a successful travel nursing career. They will help pave the way for you to get those dream assignments. Do you feel like you have a great recruiter?